What Is The Best 60-Degree Wedge To Buy In 2020?
Usually, a set of golfing Clubs consists of a number of different clubs, with each of them having its own purpose. Choosing the right types of clubs can make a world of difference to your golfing performance.
Among the different type of wedges that are available, the 60-degree wedge or the lob wedge is one of the most useful clubs.
Here is a list of four popular products in this category:
Our Best 60 Degree Wedges
Last update on 2020-08-17 PST - Details
1. Titleist Vokey SM6 Wedge
- Titleist Vokey SM6 (Tour Chrome)
- The 100% inspected grooves feature a new parallel face texture that creates a more consistent groove edge and tighter quality tolerances for more spin.
- Bob�s tour proven grinds provide every player with enhanced shot versatility to fit their swing type and course conditions.
Last update on 2020-08-16 PST - Details
The Vokey SM6 Wedge manufactured by Titleist is a solid performer, which gives a great feel. It comes in a variety of options in order to accommodate the needs of all players. This model is available in the F grind, which is suited for traditional full shots.
The new Spin Milled TX4 groove along with the face texture combination helps to create more spin and a sharper and more consistent groove edge. It also features a progressive center of gravity (CG) design, which aligns the CGs with the impact position of each loft. Thus it makes it possible to get precise distance, control over the trajectory and an exceptional feel.
2. Mizuno S5 Wedge
- Grain flow forged from a single billet of 1025E pure select mild carbon steel
- A slightly rounded leading edge allows the wedge to be opened or closed - whilst still aligned to target
- Loft specific grooves
- Harmonic impact technology
- Dynamic gold wedge felt 130 g
Last update on 2020-08-17 PST - Details
The Mizuno S5 Wedge gives you good forgiveness, which makes it easy to use for a number of players. It is available for both right and left-handed players. It is available in two colors: ‘Blue Ion’ and ‘White Satin’. It has an attractive Silhouette profile, which is an improved version of the teardrop shape.
3. Cobra King Wedge
- Progressive milled grooves-new groove design features wider grooves and gapping on weaker lofted wedges, and narrower tighter spaced grooves in stronger lofted wedges providing optimum spin and trajectory
- Variable face roughness-variable face roughness delivers an optimized surface roughness across the face to maximize spin and Control for greater shot making around the green
- Notch technology-notch Technology enables the sole and trailing edge to sit lower to the ground, resulting in the blade height being closer to the ground on square or open shots
- Premium chrome plating-satin nickel chrome plating provides a glare reducing durable finish
Last update on 2020-08-17 PST - Details
The Cobra King Wedge combines versatility and performance and has the added advantage of striking looks. It has a steel shaft and is available for both left and right-handed golfers. There are six loft options and three different sole grinds to choose from.
4. Nike Golf Engage Wedge
The Nike Engage Wedge has been designed keeping the needs of some of their best players in mind. They are available in three sole options. Nike has been a huge name in the sporting goods market and this is another superior product from the famous brand.
What a 60-Degree Wedge?
Wedges are an important part of any golf club set. They are available in different lofts, finishes, bounce and grinds. Wedges give the golfer the maximum loft compared to any other type of club. The loft can range from 45degrees to 64degrees.
The 60-degree wedge is also called the lob wedge, and it gives you a loft between 60 and 64degrees. It is an ideal club if you want more finesse than power. It is very useful in situations where you would need to hit precise shots.
It can be particularly helpful when a golfer wants to hit the ball and wishes it to rise quickly into the air. Professional golfers use it when they want the ball to land softly and with some spin from a distance of 75 to 95-yards.
The lob wedge might not be included in most of the golf club sets. You would need to purchase this wedge separately.
What Are The Other Types Of Wedges?
Apart from the lob wedge, the other types of wedges are the pitching wedge, Gap Wedge, and Sand Wedge.
Advantages Of Using a 60-Degree Wedge:
The lob wedge can be considered one of the most controversial clubs. The reason for this is its ardent number of admirers and critics alike. Learning to master it can be tough and tricky and that may be the reason why some dislike it.
On the other hand, if someone is persistent and understands how it works, they would love using the lob wedge.
Apart from a good amount of loft, the lob wedge can also give you more spin when it is used properly. The process to learn and master them could be time-consuming. One would need a lot of patience, practice, and orientation to learn about its capabilities and shortcomings.
The Technique To Use The Lob Wedge Well:
One must keep in mind that the lob wedge is not designed to be a club that offers great swing. It will not give you great results if you swing it as hard as you would do another club such as a pitching wedge.
Increasing the speed of the club head will make the shots fly higher, but it will have less consistency in the distance. As the loft of the club increases, the issue gets more magnified. It is advisable to not use more than 75% of your normal swing power when you use this wedge.
Tips To Use The Lob Wedge:
Here are a few tips that will help you to hit the lob wedge well:
- It is better to have a narrower stance than you would have for a full swing wedge shot. Keep the feet such that they are aligned slightly left of the target line.
- Keeping the ball positioned towards the middle of your stance will help you have a slight forward lean of the shaft from the head to your hands.
- The swing should be such that there should be no excessive hinging of the wrists. A simple and ideal swing is where the motion is felt in the rotation of the body core and swinging of the arms.
- The technique for partial and half shots using the lob wedge would be similar. Only the length and force of the swing must be reduced to gauge the distance.
Things To Keep In Mind When Buying a 60-Degree Wedge
Apart from the loft, the other important factors of any wedge are bounce, grind and finish.
Bounce refers to the area of the club that hits the ground. Bounce is added so that the wedge does not dig into the sand or the turf.
Bounce angle ranges from 0degrees to 14degrees. Depending on the bounce angle, wedges are available in standard, low-bounce and high-bounce options.
The best way to decide how much bounce you would need is to consider the playing conditions or the type of course where you play most often. For playing in firm conditions such as tight fairways, choose a low bounce wedge. For playing in softer conditions, a high bounce wedge is more ideal.
2. Sole Grind
It can be defined as the additional shaping of the sole of the wedge. It is usually done around the heel or the toe.
There are various sole grinds available. Hence it is advisable to consult a teaching professional for advice on which type of grind would suit your game.
A wedge may have a distinctive color and look which adds to its visual appeal. Choosing one is dependent on personal preferences but keep in mind how they would wear over time when making a choice.
A club with chrome or nickel finish will last for a long time. Dark colors look great but can wear off and leave marks as you use them in the long run.
There are plenty of options when it comes to choosing the correct wedge for your golfing needs. However, among all the products reviewed, the one product that stood out is the Titleist Vokey SM6 Wedge. Titleist has claimed that these are the best wedges they have ever made and rightly so.
It is a great product for golfers with a low handicap who want to bring out their maximum potential. It can help them rethink the way they approach their shots and will keep them prepared for any challenge.
It is available in three finishes and its looks match up to its performance. It may be priced slightly higher than some of the other similar products in the category but it is well worth the price.
The Mizuno S5 is highly recommended for players with a High Handicap.