What Is The Best Fairway Woods For Mid Handicappers In 2020?
There is no denying the fact that the game of golf requires a great deal of precision and a high level of fitness. However, what most beginners do not know is the fact that it also requires the right kind of equipment. When you have the perfect set of equipments to use on the greens along with consistent practice sessions, there is no looking back.
Research shows that it is possible to cover greater distance when the launch is high and the spin is low. This is exactly why both beginners as well as professionals are opting for a higher loft. This is what brings us to the benefits of using Fairway Woods. You will find them in a golfer’s Bag every often now and while there are hundreds to choose from, let us find the Best Fairway Woods for you to play with.
The Top 10 Fairway Woods Best Fairway Woods For Mid Handicappers On The Market
Last update on 2020-08-16 PST - Details
Review Of The Top 10 Best Fairway Woods For Mid Handicappers
Now that we have given you a basic comparison of the Top 10 Fairway Woods, let us look at detailed reviews of the products so that you know exactly what you are looking at. In this review, we will concentrate on the features that help to enhance your gaming skills and also the advantages and disadvantages of each product.
It is only fair that we let you in on the negative aspects of the products so that we do not become yet another website trying to sell you their product reviews mindlessly.
1. Callaway Men’s XR 16 Fairway Wood
- The XR 16 Fairway Wood is bigger, hotter, and more forgiving with a new Hyper Speed Face Cup that leads to even more speed and distance.
Last update on 2020-08-16 PST - Details
It is quite usual for fairway woods to try and be tiny to give you the appeal of a better player. The Callaway Men’s XR 16 Fairway Wood, however, is a big and proud contender. With a substantial footprint and a round and symmetrical shape, there is nothing small about it. This Club has been especially designed to look and feel easy to hit.
Did you know that an easy way of examining a fairway wood is to hear the sound that it makes on impact? The Callaway XR 16 makes a prototypical sound that is almost like a metallic tink that is proof of good contact. The manufacturers claim that the face cup has been redesigned to make it thinner as well as hotter so that the feel is more supportive. When you hit your shots, it will feel like they are literally jumping off the face.
When it comes to the performance of a fairway wood, what matters the most is how forgiving, and easy the launch is and also by aerodynamics and speed. The Callaway XR 16 gives you all of these four things and more.
The product makes swinging easier than ever before. Because it is well-balanced and light, you will receive just enough feel for the head. Even if you are a beginner, you will be glad to notice great club and ball speed.
What comes across as the best feature of this fairway wood is how easy it is hit shots that are high and straight. Covering distances is often a matter of concern for beginners, but you might as well be amazed at the total distance that this club helps you to cover without much trouble.
2. TaylorMade Men’s Aeroburner Fairway Wood
- New aerodynamic shape with a shallow face raised center crown and new hosel fin
- New Speed Pocket increases the size of the sweet spot and reduces spin
- Uses highest strength face material Ni CO 300 Super alloy built with new Matrix Speed RUL Z 60 Shaft and TM Speed grip
- New matte white finish black PVD face and linear AeroBurner crown graphic make alignment easy
Last update on 2020-08-16 PST - Details
If you are one of those players who tend to slice their fairway woods, then this product is apt for your use. It is not only quite forgiving as a club but is also the easiest when you need to hit left. There are very few clubs that are as durable as the TaylorMade Burner line of products. There are always exceptions in all categories but when it comes to this brand, the clubs are actually very easy to use and hit.
The Fairway Woods are by far the best clubs in the Burner line because of its sheer simplicity and ease of use. When it comes to appearances, this club has a lot to boast about. The Crown is a dazzling white along with a raised center that adds to the popularity of the product. The hosel is shaped in the form of a fin, and the bumps on the crown add a lot more to its attractive features. The best part about this club is the fact that even with all these features, there is no distraction or visibility issues.
Coming to the sound and feel of the club; it gives out a loud and metallic crack that gives you the feeling of a solid stroke. This is a great way to improve gaming skills of beginners because it will help them understand whether their gameplay is improving or not.
There is no denying the fact that the club is all about speed. The center of the crown is raised that prevents the greens from dragging the golf ball. The shape of the hosel also adds to this effect. If you are a player who has not really mastered the art of slicing through their fairway woods, then this will clearly be a good choice for you.
3. Callaway X Hot Fairway Wood
- Forged Speed Frame Face Cup; Increases ball speeds across the face for longer, more consistent distance; Made from 455 Carpenter Steel that's stronger than traditional stainless steel to generate faster ball speeds
- Modern War bird Sole; Updated design builds off of one of the most versatile fairway woods ever produced to allow for more dynamic shot shaping Designed for improved performance from a variety of lies
- Heavy weighting element inside the head that projects from the sole towards the face into the area of the cup; Lowers the cg of the head to produce a low spinning, penetrating trajectory for improved ball speed and greater distance
- Lightweight Project X Velocity Shaft; Premium lightweight shaft further enhances speed and distance; Dynamic Weight Projection
- Progressive Roll Radius produces flatter roll as you go up in loft to help you hit higher shots that also land softer; The increased launch angle allows for improved distance when the impact is low on the clubface
Last update on 2020-08-16 PST - Details
The Callaway X Hot Fairway Wood was designed while keeping two things in mind. The first intention was to maintain a low center of gravity that would eventually allow a better and higher launch angle. The second intention was to ensure that the speed of the ball was the fastest possible off the face of the club.
These two motives have been accomplished by the manufacturers in an interesting manner. The club has been designed in two separate pieces. The first is a fused stainless steel face cup that allows you to experience fast and consistent speeds across the face of the club.
The second piece is the casting of the club head that is also made of stainless steel. The Internal Standing Wave that is included in this piece takes the weight towards the face as much as possible that in turn helps to lower the center of gravity.
For golfers who are not too fond of bright graphics, this club is the perfect product to buy. The crown of this fairway wood has a matte grey finish that completely stays away from distracting designs and thus reduces glare. There are patches of red and black on the back of the crown to match the same on the club’s bottom but that is quite minimal. This redesigned version also comes along with a traditional alignment mark from Callaway.
You might notice that the shaft is half an inch lesser or so but if you can hit in the center of the face, you might not even feel the ball coming off it. You could very well get a feeling that you are swinging the club in mid-air. You might feel the impact of the ball if you hit it on the toe or towards the heel but there is no doubt about the fact that no other fairway wood would give you the feeling as amazing as this one when hit a pure strike.
It is also definitely 10 yards better than the earlier version. All in all, it is a very workable club and is bound to find a more permanent place in your golf bag than other fairway woods that you might have experienced.
4. Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood
- PLEASE NOTE: Orginal headcover is NOT available Golf Digest 2018 Hot List Gold Medal Winner! GBB Epic fairway woods incorporate our revolutionary and proprietary triaxial carbon composite material to enhance forgiveness, power and accuracy in a huge way. The triaxial carbon crown weighs just 5.8g, making it an incredible 78% lighter than a steel crown.* The saved weight is redistributed into strategic locations within the head to maximize MOI and lower the CG, making Epic fairway woods extraord
Last update on 2020-08-16 PST - Details
When you need a perfect combination of modern technology and a classic Callaway design, then the Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood will be your perfect companion. While giving beginners better distance coverage, this club also tends to make the initial stages more forgiving.
Considering the fact that this version is preferred by experts and beginners alike, it is obvious that the club is compatible with a wide range of players. It not only offers ease of play but also lets you focus on covering greater distances. The crown of the club has a basic matte black finish. The sole of the club has the branding done in silver, red, black and white. Although it has a larger head, the face is not even that deep. Whether you are hitting it on the tee box or on the deck, it makes gaming highly convenient.
There is no audible sound or metallic tink on impact. Rather there is a muted thwack that could almost make you feel as if the Golf Ball pops off the face of the club. The face is not only highly responsive but also solid and durable. The rather large aerodynamic club head makes your off-center hits more forgiving.
This club is meant for players who are looking for a lower handicap feel and sound that also matches with convenience of play and forgiveness. As far as performance is concerned, the club is quite easy to use. The perfect combination of a large head and an ideal sole weight makes it easy for you to raise the club in the air and be a more versatile equipment to play with.
5. Mens Blue Fairways Slimtech Graphite
This fairway wood comes highly recommended from experts and beginners alike. Despite the fact that it does not rank among the longest of the fairway woods, it still does prove to be quite popular among golfers. Like its line of products by Adams Blue, its core strength lies in the fact that it is quite forgiving and launches easily. The launch has been specifically made possible by the brand’s ‘Easy Launch System’ in place.
Adams is very straightforward when it comes to the features of the fairway wood. It neither goes over the top with added distance nor does it offer your adjustable gadgets. It offers an efficient club to a medium-high handicap player that can make good use of it to enhance his/her gaming potential.
Like all other fairway woods by this brand, the velocity slot is positioned in the sole. This makes the slot flex the sole when there is an impact so that greater ball speed is achieved. If you have played a game of golf before or watch games carefully, you would know that one of the most difficult shots is to hit a three wood off the deck. However, this is made quite easy and doable; thanks to the club’s upside down head profile.
The head is designed to let you cut through the turf without any hassle and make successful shots. When it comes to appearances, the club has a low profile and steers clear from distractive designs.
6. Bullet Golf .444 Hi Loft Fairway Wood
Not all beginners are alike when it comes to the game of golf. While some learn the tricks of the trade very fast, there are others that take a good amount of time to acquire the necessary skills. You might be one of them and if you are out to hunt a fairway wood that is more forgiving than the regular ones available on the market, then trust the Bullet Golf .444 Hi-Loft Fairway Wood to do the work for you.
If you have a hard time hitting the long Irons and being consistent while doing that, then your problems can be successfully resolved with this club in place. The best part about this club is the fact that it not only has an aesthetic appeal but also functions effectively.
These Fairway Woods are made of stainless steel that naturally enhances the lifespan. Another feature is its comparatively thinner crown that transfers the weight towards the lower part of the club. This is a great feature because it helps you to lift the club higher and to give the ball an easier flight.
This shaft of this club is made of graphite and it also has a rubber grip made of proline. It is not only durable but also quite comfortable to hold on to. Its head cover is aesthetically appealing.
7. Callaway Men’s Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood
This club comes along with a hyper speed face cup will give you the longest distance ever offered by a Fairway Wood. The club is specifically designed to render high speeds so that the ball travels far on center as well as off-center hits. Owing to the fact that the head is larger than a typical fairway wood along with an extra surface area, the clubs is more forgiving.
The club comes equipped with Warbird Soleplate that makes it absolutely convenient to hit the club from a wide variety of lies. The 8-way adjustability makes it easy for you to ass loft intensity, reduce loft as well as adjust the angle of the lie as per your own preference.
8. TaylorMade Men’s M2 Fairway Wood
- Carbon Composite Crown - shifts weight low for optimal launch and spin conditions
- New Speed Pocket – the Open Channel Speed Pocket promotes a larger sweet spot and reduced spin for more distance, more often.
- Best In Class Sound – Combination of fluted hosel and internal acoustics engineering manages vibrations and pitches to product a solid, hot and crisp sound that offers tremendous feedback at impact
Last update on 2020-08-16 PST - Details
The TaylorMade Men’s M2 Fairway Wood will appeal you aesthetically at the very first look. It has a bold appearance that reflects the power within. The crown has contrasting colors that naturally draw your attention to the hitting area. It also comes along with a grid pattern that is quite attractive without being too obvious. No wonder it is often labeled as the Casablanca of clubs! It comes in an absolute classic combination of black and white.
Most golfers love the balance through the swing. They also seem to love the response from the hard rubber mallet on impact because it lets you know when you have successfully nailed it.
The most unique and admired feature of this club is the amount of sidespin correction that it successfully does, irrespective of the hit speed.
It comes along with a perfect driver replacement that makes it very easy to play and have fun with your game. The club has a large sweet spot and that enhances forgiveness. The internal engineering is bound to control the pitch and vibration which not only gives you a sharp and crisp sound but also excellent feedback on impact.
9. TaylorMade 2017 M1 Men’s Fairway Wood
The TaylorMade 2017 M1 Men’s Fairway Wood is built to attract you the moment you set eyes on it. It is dressed for business; with its hi-tech and attractive appearance. The black and white contrast on the crown frames the ball as well as you would like it to. The compact head helps deliver the goods appropriately.
The feel of the club is firm and stable from start to finish. The shots will literally bounce off the face. The club minimizes spin when there is a toe and heel contact. It is more than reliable when you are playing on driving holes that are tricky.
10. Adams Tight Lies 2013 Fairway Wood
This here is nothing short of perfection when it comes to playing on course. It has an outstanding design that ensures you have your best performance whenever you play with it. Three things come together in this product; Velocity Slot Technology, Tri-Level Sole and a shaft made of Bassara Eagle steel. It comes along in three different flexes; regular, stiff and X-stiff flexes.
The Velocity Slot helps to enhance the ball speed across the face because it makes the club flex a lot more when there is impact. What’s more, there is a Ghost slot that works invisibly to enhance launch and ball speeds.
The tri-level sole significantly reduces turf interactions so that golfers can benefit from all types of lie. The steel shaft is lighter but also highly durable at the same time. The club comes along in an attractive design and a functional pear shape.
The Ultimate Guide To Buying The Best Fairway Woods
Irrespective of your skill set, you will need one or two Woods in your golf bag. This is why it is so significant to choose the best, especially since there are so many options available. There are a few factors that you must consider before investing in a fairway wood. Let us look at these factors.
- 1. Handicap: This is one of the most important factors to consider while investing in a fairway wood. This factor decides the kind of performance that the club gives you. For high handicappers, a higher Loft Degree is a good idea. Mid and low handicappers can easily make do with lower lofts. The idea is to opt for a club that makes hitting from the fairways convenient.
- 2. Material: The modern fairway woods are generally made of steel. Steel adds the required durability and strength that a fairway wood needs without making it too expensive. Nowadays, composite heads are also doing the rounds. Titanium is quite a popular material, considering the fact that it is lightweight and significantly lowers the center of gravity.
- 3. Shaft: You will come across different types and lengths of shafts. Some of them are longer to help you cover more distances. While greater distance coverage is a good thing, there is no denying the fact that you might have to compromise on the degree of control. If you want more control, the clubs with shorter shafts are better for you. As far as material is concerned, the ones made of graphite are ideally the best and the lightest.
- 4. Loft: As we are aware, the loft decides how far you will be able to take your ball. To say it technically, it determines the trajectory. This is why you should ideally opt for clubs that have an adjustable loft. However, most clubs these days come along with an adjustable hosel so you have nothing to worry about. A decent fairway wood should ideally be able to adjust loft by around 5 degrees.
- 5. Head design: The most important part of a fairway wood is the clubhead. This is the part that makes an actual contact with the ball and thus plays a key role in your choice of a fairway wood. The shape and size of the clubhead will decide the playability of the wood. If you have a broad face, the club will be more efficient off the tee and if you have a shallow face, launching balls from the fairway will be very convenient. Now if you have a flat bottom edge, you will be able to strike very well from tight lies.
- 6. Length: Length almost always depends on the manufacturer. However, it is still an important factor when it comes to buying woods. If you opt for a club with a higher number, it is bound to be shorter. 3-Woods are generally between 43-42 inches, 5-Wood tends to be between 42-41 inches and 7-wood tends to be between 41-40 inches. If you just want to buy one fairway wood, then choose a length that is compatible with your handicap.
While it is true that modern hybrids are gradually taking over the market, there is no denying the fact that fairway woods are still as relevant and necessary today as they were earlier. However, they need to be chosen very carefully.
Always invest time and energy in reading reviews and do consider the disadvantages as much as you look at the benefits of the product. There are other factors to consider like your own budget and preference when it comes to buying fairway woods.
The best way to find out which wood is ideal for you, consider trying a couple of them before making the final choice.